Facebook  Twitter  Vimeo

Family Law NB Family Law NB Family Law NB - Online resources for the public

What's New

New protection measures available for victims of intimate partner violence
May 22, 2018

The Intimate Partner Violence Intervention Act was proclaimed on May 1, 2018 to provide new mechanisms that can help victims of intimate partner violence.  These remedies include:

  • exclusive occupation of the residence
  • temporary possession of personal property
  • no-contact provisions
  • temporary custody of children
  • seizure of weapons

The following organizations are designated in the regulations of the act to assist victims in completing an application for an emergency intervention order. They include:

  • police
  • Victim Services
  • transition house and second-stage housing intervener
  • Domestic Violence Outreach
  • social workers with the Department of Social Development

Applications for such orders may be made by telephone, making them accessible to victims in both rural and urban areas

Public Legal Education and Information Service of New Brunswick (PLEIS-NB) worked in collaboration with the Women’s Equality Branch to create educational resources (booklets, bookmarks and postcards) on the Intimate Partner Violence Intervention Act. These resources are available at: www.legal-info-legale.nb.caAbuse and Violence – Emergency Intervention Orders.  


Enclosed are some complimentary copies of the informative booklets, postcards and bookmarks. If you wish to order to share with service providers or victims, you can do so online or contact PLEIS-NB by email at pleisnb@web.ca. 








Family Law Information Video
Family Law Information Line
Family Law Workshops
Ask an Expert Videos
FAQs about Family Law
Going to Court
Family Law Forms
Family Law Publications
Find a Lawyer / Get Help
Self-Help Guides
Parenting After Separation
Parent Information Program
Court Evaluations Support
quick links header

Doing Your Own Divorce

Applying For Parenting and Support Orders

Changing Child Support - Orders made in NB

Changing Child Support - Orders made
outside NB

Need Help? Call the Family Law Information Line

Your Opinion Matters


What’s New
About This Site
Ask An Expert Videos

Living Common-Law
Separation and Divorce
Marital Property
Custody and Access
Child Support
Spousal Support
Support Enforcement
Staying Out Of Court
Representing Yourself
Other Issues


Going To Court
English or French?
Presenting Your Case in Court
Preparing for Your Court Hearing
The Day Of Your Hearing
Tips for the Court Hearing
After the Hearing

Family Law Forms
Printing & Completing Forms
Custody, Access and Support
Changing an Order
Interjurisdictional Support Orders
Consent Order
Court-Ordered Evaluations Support Program
Family Law Forms for Saint John and Moncton


Family Law Publications
Family Law for Immigrants
Child and Spousal Support
Child Support Recalculation Service
Parenting After Separation
Divorce and Separation
Support Enforcement
Family Violence
Other Materials

Find a Lawyer/Get Help
Family Law Information Video
You and Your Lawyer
Find a Lawyer
Get Help (Domestic Legal Aid)
Legal Advice Clinics

Self-Help Guides


Parenting After Separation
Online Parent Information Program (PIP)
(formerly known as For the Sake of the Children)

Family Law Information Line


Public Legal Education and Information
Service of New Brunswick

  P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada E3B 5H1
  Telephone: (506) 453-5369
Family Law Line: 1-888-236-2444