Facebook  Twitter  Vimeo

Family Law NB Family Law NB Family Law NB - Online resources for the public

What's New

Clearance Certificate and Trial Record
June 15, 2018

 Clearance Certificate and Trial Record

After filing a Petition for Divorce with the court, you must wait to get a “Clearance Certificate” to attach when you file the Trial Record


After filing the Petition/Application for Divorce with the court and serving it on your spouse, you must file a Trial Record with the court in order to proceed with your divorce. However, you must wait to file your Trial Record until you receive your Clearance Certificate, because it has to be included with your Trial Record. This fact sheet offers more information about these two documents.
When you receive your “Clearance Certificate” in the mail, you may mistakenly think this must be your ‘proof of divorce.’ This is an important document but it is not your divorce judgment. A clearance certificate is proof that you or your spouse have not already started divorce proceedings.
The Trial Record is a package of documents you put together that contains everything the judge will need to see in order to grant you a divorce. These documents show the court that you have followed all the steps required in a divorce and are ready to proceed.


Family Law Information Video
Family Law Information Line
Family Law Workshops
Ask an Expert Videos
FAQs about Family Law
Going to Court
Family Law Forms
Family Law Publications
Find a Lawyer / Get Help
Self-Help Guides
Parenting After Separation
Parent Information Program
Court Evaluations Support
quick links header

Doing Your Own Divorce

Applying For Parenting and Support Orders

Changing Child Support - Orders made in NB

Changing Child Support - Orders made
outside NB

Need Help? Call the Family Law Information Line

Your Opinion Matters


What’s New
About This Site
Ask An Expert Videos

Living Common-Law
Separation and Divorce
Marital Property
Custody and Access
Child Support
Spousal Support
Support Enforcement
Staying Out Of Court
Representing Yourself
Other Issues


Going To Court
English or French?
Presenting Your Case in Court
Preparing for Your Court Hearing
The Day Of Your Hearing
Tips for the Court Hearing
After the Hearing

Family Law Forms
Printing & Completing Forms
Custody, Access and Support
Changing an Order
Interjurisdictional Support Orders
Consent Order
Court-Ordered Evaluations Support Program
Family Law Forms for Saint John and Moncton


Family Law Publications
Family Law for Immigrants
Child and Spousal Support
Child Support Recalculation Service
Parenting After Separation
Divorce and Separation
Support Enforcement
Family Violence
Other Materials

Find a Lawyer/Get Help
Family Law Information Video
You and Your Lawyer
Find a Lawyer
Get Help (Domestic Legal Aid)
Legal Advice Clinics

Self-Help Guides


Parenting After Separation
Online Parent Information Program (PIP)
(formerly known as For the Sake of the Children)

Family Law Information Line


Public Legal Education and Information
Service of New Brunswick

  P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada E3B 5H1
  Telephone: (506) 453-5369
Family Law Line: 1-888-236-2444