Facebook  Twitter  Vimeo

Family Law NB Family Law NB Family Law NB - Online resources for the public

What's New

New Brunswick Woman Sent to Jail for Lying in Family Court Document
January 30, 2012

On January 11th, a New Brunswick woman was sentenced to three months in jail for lying in an affidavit that was part of a custody dispute between herself and her former common law partner. She was convicted of the crime of perjury, which is when a person knowingly lies under oath.  An affidavit is a written document made under oath.  

The woman shared custody of her two children with her former common law partner and was seeking full custody. In her affidavit she claimed she was concerned about an injury on her son’s foot which her doctor said was not healing due to the care the child was receiving when he was with his father. However, videotaped statements made by the woman to police as well as the testimony of the doctor showed that she was lying and knew she was giving false information.

The lawyer for the woman argued that since the perjured statement was made in a family court matter, it shouldn’t be considered as ‘serious’ a crime as someone lying to try to avoid punishment in a criminal case.  Judge Julian Dickson of the New Brunswick Provincial Court disagreed, asking the defence lawyer what could be more important than issues of custody and access to children, who are vulnerable individuals.  Judge Dickson also refused the defense’s request to impose a conditional sentence (which would have allowed the woman to serve her sentence at home). 

Source: Fredericton Daily Gleaner, January 12, 2012


Family Law Information Video
Family Law Information Line
Family Law Workshops
Ask an Expert Videos
FAQs about Family Law
Going to Court
Family Law Forms
Family Law Publications
Find a Lawyer / Get Help
Self-Help Guides
Parenting After Separation
Parent Information Program
Court Evaluations Support
quick links header

Doing Your Own Divorce

Applying For Parenting and Support Orders

Changing Child Support - Orders made in NB

Changing Child Support - Orders made
outside NB

Need Help? Call the Family Law Information Line

Your Opinion Matters


What’s New
About This Site
Ask An Expert Videos

Living Common-Law
Separation and Divorce
Marital Property
Custody and Access
Child Support
Spousal Support
Support Enforcement
Staying Out Of Court
Representing Yourself
Other Issues


Going To Court
English or French?
Presenting Your Case in Court
Preparing for Your Court Hearing
The Day Of Your Hearing
Tips for the Court Hearing
After the Hearing

Family Law Forms
Printing & Completing Forms
Custody, Access and Support
Changing an Order
Interjurisdictional Support Orders
Consent Order
Court-Ordered Evaluations Support Program
Family Law Forms for Saint John and Moncton


Family Law Publications
Family Law for Immigrants
Child and Spousal Support
Child Support Recalculation Service
Parenting After Separation
Divorce and Separation
Support Enforcement
Family Violence
Other Materials

Find a Lawyer/Get Help
Family Law Information Video
You and Your Lawyer
Find a Lawyer
Get Help (Domestic Legal Aid)
Legal Advice Clinics

Self-Help Guides


Parenting After Separation
Online Parent Information Program (PIP)
(formerly known as For the Sake of the Children)

Family Law Information Line


Public Legal Education and Information
Service of New Brunswick

  P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada E3B 5H1
  Telephone: (506) 453-5369
Family Law Line: 1-888-236-2444