Facebook  Twitter  Vimeo

Family Law NB Family Law NB Family Law NB - Online resources for the public

What's New

Name Changes Following the Death of Queen Elizabeth II
September 20, 2022

 With the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the new King Charles III of England, some legal terms are changing. Anywhere you see “the Queen” or “Her Majesty” on this website, in our publications, or anywhere else in the legal system, you should read it as “the King” or “His Majesty.” This includes the Court of Queen’s Bench, which is now called the Court of King’s Bench.

We are working to update our website with this change. All of our new publications will use the correct terms, but older print publications may still refer to “the Queen.” They are still accurate except for the name.

Here is some information from the Court of King’s Bench:

(The following information is provided by Rachelle Standing, Chief Clerk & Chief Administrator, Court of King’s Bench. Click here to read the original memorandum.)

Upon Her Majesty’s passing, The Court of Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick immediately became the Court of King’s Bench of New Brunswick. Please note that all court matters will continue to proceed as scheduled.

Any order or reference to “Her Majesty” or the “Queen” will be read as “His Majesty” or the “King” remains in effect without the need for any amendment.

Any reference to “Her Majesty” or the “Queen” in court filings, including pleadings already filed with the court, do not require amendment.

However, from this day forward, all court documents should be filed with the correct style of proceeding (“In the Court of King’s Bench of New Brunswick”) and any applicable reference to the “Queen” or “Her Majesty” should appropriately read the “King” or “His Majesty.”

The Court of King’s Bench will continue to accept filings that reference the “Queen” or “Her Majesty” until the end of the year. As of January 1, 2023, court documents that inappropriately reference the “Queen” or “Her Majesty” will be returned for amendment.


Family Law Information Video
Family Law Information Line
Family Law Workshops
Ask an Expert Videos
FAQs about Family Law
Going to Court
Family Law Forms
Family Law Publications
Find a Lawyer / Get Help
Self-Help Guides
Parenting After Separation
Parent Information Program
Court Evaluations Support
quick links header

Doing Your Own Divorce

Applying For Parenting and Support Orders

Changing Child Support - Orders made in NB

Changing Child Support - Orders made
outside NB

Need Help? Call the Family Law Information Line

Your Opinion Matters


What’s New
About This Site
Ask An Expert Videos

Living Common-Law
Separation and Divorce
Marital Property
Custody and Access
Child Support
Spousal Support
Support Enforcement
Staying Out Of Court
Representing Yourself
Other Issues


Going To Court
English or French?
Presenting Your Case in Court
Preparing for Your Court Hearing
The Day Of Your Hearing
Tips for the Court Hearing
After the Hearing

Family Law Forms
Printing & Completing Forms
Custody, Access and Support
Changing an Order
Interjurisdictional Support Orders
Consent Order
Court-Ordered Evaluations Support Program
Family Law Forms for Saint John and Moncton


Family Law Publications
Family Law for Immigrants
Child and Spousal Support
Child Support Recalculation Service
Parenting After Separation
Divorce and Separation
Support Enforcement
Family Violence
Other Materials

Find a Lawyer/Get Help
Family Law Information Video
You and Your Lawyer
Find a Lawyer
Get Help (Domestic Legal Aid)
Legal Advice Clinics

Self-Help Guides


Parenting After Separation
Online Parent Information Program (PIP)
(formerly known as For the Sake of the Children)

Family Law Information Line


Public Legal Education and Information
Service of New Brunswick

  P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada E3B 5H1
  Telephone: (506) 453-5369
Family Law Line: 1-888-236-2444