Facebook  Twitter  Vimeo

Family Law NB Family Law NB Family Law NB - Online resources for the public

What's New

New Publication on Living Common-law
April 9, 2013

Public Legal Education and Information Service of New Brunswick recently updated one of its most popular family law booklets.   Formerly called, Living Together, the revised booklet has a new look and a new name – Living Common-Law.

This booklet discusses a variety of situations where legal rights and responsibilities might arise among couples living in a common-law relationship.  While certain rights and obligations may be the same as legally married couples, such as the obligation to support children, others may differ.  For example, when a common-law couple separates, they do not have the same automatic entitlement to equal division of property as provided to married couples under the Marital Property Act.  Even the amount of time that a common-law couple must continuously live together to be eligible for a particular benefit, varies from one law to the next.  Division of federal CCP credits on separation require one year of cohabitation, while common-law couples must live together for two years to be eligible to apply for a share of a provincial pension.

This new booklet is being distributed to libraries and community groups around the province.  You can also view it on the PLEIS-NB or Family Law NB websites or order a copy by contacting us at pleisnb@web.ca.


Family Law Information Video
Family Law Information Line
Family Law Workshops
Ask an Expert Videos
FAQs about Family Law
Going to Court
Family Law Forms
Family Law Publications
Find a Lawyer / Get Help
Self-Help Guides
Parenting After Separation
Parent Information Program
Court Evaluations Support
quick links header

Doing Your Own Divorce

Applying For Parenting and Support Orders

Changing Child Support - Orders made in NB

Changing Child Support - Orders made
outside NB

Need Help? Call the Family Law Information Line

Your Opinion Matters


What’s New
About This Site
Ask An Expert Videos

Living Common-Law
Separation and Divorce
Marital Property
Custody and Access
Child Support
Spousal Support
Support Enforcement
Staying Out Of Court
Representing Yourself
Other Issues


Going To Court
English or French?
Presenting Your Case in Court
Preparing for Your Court Hearing
The Day Of Your Hearing
Tips for the Court Hearing
After the Hearing

Family Law Forms
Printing & Completing Forms
Custody, Access and Support
Changing an Order
Interjurisdictional Support Orders
Consent Order
Court-Ordered Evaluations Support Program
Family Law Forms for Saint John and Moncton


Family Law Publications
Family Law for Immigrants
Child and Spousal Support
Child Support Recalculation Service
Parenting After Separation
Divorce and Separation
Support Enforcement
Family Violence
Other Materials

Find a Lawyer/Get Help
Family Law Information Video
You and Your Lawyer
Find a Lawyer
Get Help (Domestic Legal Aid)
Legal Advice Clinics

Self-Help Guides


Parenting After Separation
Online Parent Information Program (PIP)
(formerly known as For the Sake of the Children)

Family Law Information Line


Public Legal Education and Information
Service of New Brunswick

  P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada E3B 5H1
  Telephone: (506) 453-5369
Family Law Line: 1-888-236-2444