Facebook  Twitter  Vimeo

Family Law NB Family Law NB Family Law NB - Online resources for the public

What's New

Traditional Negotiation with Lawyers
June 22, 2018

Traditional Negotiation with Lawyers

Two-thirds of all family law cases in the courts deal with separation and divorce. Negotiations through lawyers may help resolve issues without going to court. 


There are several options for coming to an agreement and only a few of them involve the court system. Whether you need to settle custody and access, support, or division of marital property, the best way to deal with family law issues is typically outside of the courtroom.


Lawyers can help you negotiate an agreement that can keep you out of court. Each party hires their own lawyer to advise them as they attempt to reach an agreement. The lawyers negotiate a final agreement through letters and telephone calls. Sometimes meetings occur with both clients and both lawyers present. If a settlement is reached, a written agreement and/or divorce are finalized by the parties with their lawyers. If the parties fail to reach an agreement, their lawyers are able to represent them in court proceedings.


Click here for more information on negotiations outside of the courtroom



Family Law Information Video
Family Law Information Line
Family Law Workshops
Ask an Expert Videos
FAQs about Family Law
Going to Court
Family Law Forms
Family Law Publications
Find a Lawyer / Get Help
Self-Help Guides
Parenting After Separation
Parent Information Program
Court Evaluations Support
quick links header

Doing Your Own Divorce

Applying For Parenting and Support Orders

Changing Child Support - Orders made in NB

Changing Child Support - Orders made
outside NB

Need Help? Call the Family Law Information Line

Your Opinion Matters


What’s New
About This Site
Ask An Expert Videos

Living Common-Law
Separation and Divorce
Marital Property
Custody and Access
Child Support
Spousal Support
Support Enforcement
Staying Out Of Court
Representing Yourself
Other Issues


Going To Court
English or French?
Presenting Your Case in Court
Preparing for Your Court Hearing
The Day Of Your Hearing
Tips for the Court Hearing
After the Hearing

Family Law Forms
Printing & Completing Forms
Custody, Access and Support
Changing an Order
Interjurisdictional Support Orders
Consent Order
Court-Ordered Evaluations Support Program
Family Law Forms for Saint John and Moncton


Family Law Publications
Family Law for Immigrants
Child and Spousal Support
Child Support Recalculation Service
Parenting After Separation
Divorce and Separation
Support Enforcement
Family Violence
Other Materials

Find a Lawyer/Get Help
Family Law Information Video
You and Your Lawyer
Find a Lawyer
Get Help (Domestic Legal Aid)
Legal Advice Clinics

Self-Help Guides


Parenting After Separation
Online Parent Information Program (PIP)
(formerly known as For the Sake of the Children)

Family Law Information Line


Public Legal Education and Information
Service of New Brunswick

  P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada E3B 5H1
  Telephone: (506) 453-5369
Family Law Line: 1-888-236-2444